Rapa Nui

Rapa Nui
Vacation of a Lifetime

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It was interesting to read Parson's article, A Geographer looks at the San Joaquin Valley. I have driven through there on many occasions and it has always intrigued me as a farming community, but I had no idea just how many different types of crops were grown there. Another interesting point Parson made was the diversity of ethnicities living in the region: from Dutch to Laotians, Armenians to Japanese, Russians to Filipinos. I had always assumed that the majority of the population was Hispanic, yet only 20 to 30 percent of the population live in each county (379). Although this was written in 1986; 20 years has probably changed that figure. This article has given me a stronger desire to eat food grown closer to home. So much of our produce is being imported from South America, yet it is out of season. It makes more sense to me to eat more locally and more seasonally. Most likely a lot more healthily!

Parson's also mentions that one-half of the new house buyers in Modesto commute to the Livermore valley or to the South Bay. It seems like such a long commute but I personally know of someone who does this every day. He lives in Turlock and commutes two hours each way to work in the South Bay area. This I can relate to as I commute nearly two hours to UNR each way but I only do it twice a week. My friend, by the way, also lives in a house that was constucted off of a railroad car back in the 60's. The railroad car now is the dining room/kitchen (which was the original home), and the rest of the house spills out from there. Quite an interesting specimen.

No comments: